Wednesday 28 November 2012

When to TTC? / The planning begins


Here are some of the things I am looking at, to plan another little baby.

Bloods – checking that all my vitals are healthy particularly since being so ill in hospital.

Bloods – checking that all my prenatal  vitals are good – these include resilience to viruses such as measles and tetanus etc. I already had injections for these for my previous pregnancy but we still want to check that I am protected. There is a whole list of items to check on and get up to date.

Simply ask your doctor and have a chat about planning for a pregnancy. Its smart to think about genetic conditions within your family.

Fitness -  making sure my body is fit and strong to carry a little one. It takes a lot of energy to be pregnant, it can be really exhausting. With back problems it had previously been a concern for me, however I made a real point of getting fit, jogging and doing clinical pilates specifically to get me strong and keep me strong for my pregnancy.  I believe it was all this and my positive attitude that helped, and in the end I was able to move around with great ease during labour to which the mid wives were actually quite impressed.

Folic acid – I have been on Elivate for many, many, many months. Part of the reason I am on it since hospital is because of it being essentially a multivitamin, but as a woman who is planning for pregnancy it is important to start this.

And my opinion on is it ok to have a little caffeine or/and a little alcohol? There is only a small amount known about the affects of alcohol on a foetus. What is obvious is that excessive alcohol consumption during pregnancy is going to have a negative affect on a foetus/baby. Less is definitely best!
What I did whilst pregnant with Chloe was basically abstain completely. I did try the occasional wine as we had several weddings during the period but I couldn’t stand the taste (thankfully). All in all I basically didn’t drink. When I needed a stress relief I used other methods of relaxation. Walk, talk, making nursery art, massage, hot shower. And because caffeine really doesn’t affect me a great deal I thought there was no point in drinking it.

So why the bloods, injections, vitamins and fitness regime? Well because I believe that it is my responsibility to give my baby the very best start in life.

So we shall see how the results go, fingers crossed!

When to start trying? For a c-section its important to wait for at least 6 months as this is when the wound has well and truly healed. I think it is also smart to wait till after the 3 month mark as when you have had a loss, its apparently more difficult if your babies share the same month as a birthday & anniversary. Many women naturally want to rush into another pregnancy, however I do want to get started when I'm in good health, good fitness and have a healthy mental state. I certainty don't want to make the pregnancy difficult (mentally or physically) and facing a delivery in the same month as Chloe's anniversary could be stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment